The Big Social FAQs
If you’re new to The Big Social or need a bit of help setting up your page, this guide will help you learn more about the the event and how it works.
The Big Social happens between Oct. 9 and 25, 2020.
The Big Social is for everyone! Food-lovers, home cooks, families, book clubs, co-workers, and people who want to do good in their community. If you love to bring people together over food, and you want to make a difference in the lives of Canadians experiencing poverty and food insecurity, you should host a meal during The Big Social!
The Big Social directly funds Community Food Centre programs in Kamloops, Calgary, Winnipeg, Iqaluit, Stratford, Hamilton, Toronto, Perth, Montreal, Eel Ground First Nation, N.B., and Dartmouth.
75% of funds raised in those communities will stay in those communities. The remaining 25% of funds will support Community Food Centres Canada to innovate new programs and power a good food movement across Canada.
You can choose to direct the donations from your Big Social to Community Food Centres Canada or any of our Community Food Centres across Canada. See a list here.
Getting involved is easy!
- Register to host a fundraiser between October 9 -25.
- Set a fundraising goal.
- Stay safe and healthy by gathering with your family, your bubble, or online.
- Invite guests to make a donation to help our most vulnerable neighbours.
- Entertain some good!
The majority of Big Social events are private events and are for invited guests only.
If space is your challenge, consider whether you have a friend or colleague you could join forces with to host.
If time is your challenge, you can still contribute by making a direct donation to Community Food Centres Canada, or to your local Community Food Centre. It only takes a minute to donate online.
We encourage people who want to host a Big Social event to register their event online. Our online platform makes it easy to plan your event, invite and communicate with your guests, and track your fundraising progress.
Donations are not mandatory, but we encourage you to donate if you can. Every donation helps us give low-income communities better access to healthy food and programs that change lives.
If you’re not able to host an event during the campaign period of Oct. 9 and 25, you can still register your event and host it at a time that’s more convenient for you.
What responsibilities do I have as a host?
Beyond planning a fun event, and inviting your friends to make a donation, we recommend you have your guests sign the waiver, especially if you plan on hosting an in-person event. This will protect you in your role as host, as well as Community Food Centres Canada as the organizer of the event. Don't forget to scan/photo them and send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
I've been invited to a Big Social, what do I need to know?
The host who invited you will provide all important event details. If you haven't already, don't forget to make a donation to your host's event page to help them reach their goal. Before you attend the event be sure to review this waiver and agree to the terms and conditions for participation. Don't forget to scan/photo them and send them to email@example.com
You bet! You can find everything you need to host a successful Big Social on our Resources page, including social media graphics and copy, conversation starters, fundraising tips and more.
Yes, people who make a donation online of any amount will receive a charitable tax receipt from Community Food Centres Canada after they’ve completed their donation.
People who make a donation by cheque or cash of $20 or more will receive a tax receipt from Community Food Centres Canada within three months of the date of the donation. For offline donations, only amounts of $20 or more will be eligible for a charitable tax receipt.
Download this pledge sheet to make and/or collect cash and/or cheque donations. When it’s complete, email it to trisha [at] cfccanada [dot] ca or mail it to Community Food Centres Canada, 80 Ward St., Suite 100, Toronto ON M6H 4A6.
The Big Social is a fundraising event to raise money to support low-income communities. We are not able to reimburse hosts for costs associated with hosting their Big Social event.
Contact Trisha Starostina at 416 531 8826 ext 303 or trisha [at] cfccanada [dot] ca.
Donations made to your fundraising page are final transactions and can’t be reimbursed. We thank you for your generous contributions to giving low-income communities better access to healthy food and programs that change lives.
Share the campaign website with them and encourage them to host their own event!
If you need some help troubleshooting an issue on your Big Social page, please send an email to Trisha Starostina at trisha [at] cfccanada [dot] ca or give her a call at 416 531 8826 ext 303. When reporting your issue, please make note of the operating system (iOS, Windows, Android) and the web browser you were using.